Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Apple Stuffed Turkey Roll Up

When did my life flip flop?
  • I get tagged in CrossFit pictures, rather than night-out pictures
  • I'd rather spend my money on good food and Lululemon, instead of pricey designer garb
  • I cook 99% of my meals, as opposed to frequenting local restaurants
  • I eat meat! And no more tofu and whole wheat pasta?!?
I think I'm living in the twilight zone, but it's okay. I've never felt better! I spent my whole day reading Aldous Huxley's The Perennial Philosophy, and you'd think that with a few hours dedicated to simply reading that I would have gotten through the whole thing. Well, you could not be further away from the truth. The Perennial Philosophy, or the divine, all-consuming, absolute truth of all that there is and shall ever be, is pretty dense stuff. I only got through the introduction and the first chapter! I take a lot of notes when I read and I look stuff up and so non-fiction books always take me 39203x longer than fiction books like The Hunger Games trilogy, all of which I read in a combined less than 72 hours. I'm a freak when it comes to reading fiction fast. Not so much when it concerns life/earth/mind shattering information like all of Huxley's work does... You need a minute to soak up the tidbits of truth he throws atcha. You'd think that proper grammar and the use of actual words in my blog posts would come with the reading of great authors, but let's be real: I'm lazy and I'm not trying to write an informative essay or dissertation on the epic properties of bacon when used in recipes. Bacon speaks for itself. Duh.

Speaking of bacon, I used it again. You're welcome. This time the bacon serves as a culinary accouterment rather than the star of the cuisine. But I'll get to that in a second.

A side note: I'm going to be posting less frequently for a little bit. About once or twice a week. I'm trying to lean out a bit so my intake has been pretty repetitive and boring. This means I'm not cooking/experimenting in the kitchen as much AND I'm not cooking paleo sweets or consuming my body weight in almond butter. Shocker. I know.

Mark and I ran the 3.2 for 32 Hokies tribute run this past Saturday and man oh man was I struggling. I need to shed some of this extra weight that was holding me back and start back up some 2-a-days with some interval running training and yoga. Mark is a freak runner/athlete (no one has been commenting to tell him to do Crossfit, C'MON NOW!). He does absolutely nothing for weeks and comes back stronger than ever. Rude. Not fair for us mortals. So I was struggling compared to him, but we still completed the run in 27:30. So about 9 minute miles. Not TOO bad, but I'd like to run 8 min miles consistently. Alright, enough jabbering, time for the recipe. This is more of a fall-season recipe, but it's still awesome.

Apple Stuffed Turkey Roll Up
Makes 4 servings

     - 1 lb Ground Turkey
     - 3/4 cup Almond Flour
     - 1 Egg
     - 3 tablespoons Avocado Oil, or fat of choice
     - 1/2 Granny Smith Apple, diced
     - 1/2 Gala Apple, diced
     - 1 cup Almonds, coarsely chopped
     - 1 cup Celery, coarsely chopped
     -1 medium Yellow Onion, diced
     - 2 sprigs Rosemary, minced
     - 3 sprigs Thyme, minced
     - 1 sprig Sage, minced
     - Coconut Oil Spray
     - 2 strips Bacon, halved (no nitrates!)
     - Salt & Pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Crumble ground turkey into a medium bowl, add in almond flour and egg and mix together with your hands. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Heat up the avocado oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Saute apples, almonds, celery, and onion for 5 minutes or until the apples are tender.
4. Remove pan from heat and stir in the herbs.

5. Here comes the difficult part. Roll out some parchment paper. Spray generously with coconut oil. Spread out the turkey in a rectangular layer, ending about an inch from the edge of the parchment paper. The trick is getting the turkey to be about a centimeter thick. Mine was about 8 inches by 5 or 6 inches, if I had to guestimate.
6. Spoon the apple/herb mixture onto the turkey, leaving about 1/2 an inch of space from the edges. Don't worry if you have extra, this will go around the turkey roll!
7. Now, take the parchment paper and start rolling the turkey on top of itself like a jelly roll, peeling away the parchment paper as you roll. This took me a couple of tries. It doesn't have to be perfect, just do your best!
8. Place the turkey in a baking dish (I used my trusty ceramic Le Creuset) and place any extra apple mixture around the turkey. Take the halved strips of bacon and place on top of the roll. Top with a few sprigs of thyme if you'd like!
9. Stick in the oven for about 60-70 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 165*.
10. Let it cool down, slice, admire how pretty the roll looks, and consume!




BONUS: As a dessert, why not scoop half an avocado into a red bell pepper that was on sale at Kroger, top with a little cilantro, and a twist of some fresh sea salt? Mmmm.


No comments:

Post a Comment