Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Acai Protein Shake, Rattle, No Bowl

Alright, so here's the deal. I'm starting to get pissy with myself for no good reason. I want to be stronger. Like now. Never mind the fact that I've only been CrossFitting and, hence, lifting weights, for just over 2 months. Never mind that I took 2 weeks off and in reality only did body weight exercises. I want to be stronger now. It's irritating and I've been pushing myself perhaps more than I should be, and nearly crying out of frustration and anger when I've fallen short of my expectations since I've been back. I've never been good with patience. And it's been making me sloppy. Don't get sloppy. I need to go through a natural progression and not try to flat out kill myself. I'll get there eventually. There. That's my mini life rant. I'm trying to talk myself down. Thanks for bearin' with me.

I'm competitive. Which is strange for a person who never really did sports. But I like being the best. Maybe it's an attention thing, maybe it's the oldest child gimmick, I don't really know. It's also a fairly recently developed quality. I used to have an IDGAF attitude about a lot of things, including school and athletic prowess. Junior year of college sh*t did a 180. Someone or something (it was actually a class + the teacher who taught it) lit a fire under my butt and I started Needing. Craving. Success. My previously dormant competitive nature has turned into a quality that has made me excel in the classroom. Now it needs to get to work in the gym. I'll get there. You can too. Let's raise 'em up for being competitive against ourselves and constantly striving to do better than before. How 'bout it? Here, here!

Let's raise a glass of an Acai Protein shake, eh? This recipe was inspired by the amazing PULP: Organic Acai bowls I raved about in a previous post. I found the little packets of Acai at my local health food store, Annie Kay's. Unfortunately, I don't have 400+ dollars to be dishin' out on a Vitamix, so my crappy blender made the nice bowl more the consistency of a shake. No matta'! It still turned out to be a ballin' protein shake. For those of you that rag on shakes: IDGAF. I don't think one shake is going to debilitate me in a back squat.

Acai Protein Shake, Rattle, No Bowl
Makes 1 Shake

     - 1 cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk (carton)
     - 1 Packet Frozen Acai Pulp
     - 1 Scoop Protein Powder
     - 1 Banana, broken into chunks
     - 2 tablespoons Almond Butter or Macadamia Nut Butter
     - 1/2 tablespoon Raw Honey (sometimes I omit)
     - 1 tablespoon Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
     - 1 teaspoon Bee Pollen

1. Combine all the ingredients through the raw honey in a blender.
2. Blend.
3. Sprinkle with coconut flakes and bee pollen.
4. Consume.
5. Die happy.




If I had a Vitamix, this spoonful probably wouldn't look like soup :|


No comments:

Post a Comment