Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Deconstructed Bacon, Arugula, & Caramelized Onion Egg Sammies

I am absolutely loving the weather we have going on in Southwest Virginia right now. It's glorious, simply glorious and it makes taking Elle out so much more enjoyable. It makes everything more enjoyable too. Like eating breakfast on your deck. Which I did this morning. Weee. I also got my juicer today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So. Effing. Stoked. Mark bought it for me as a graduation/grad school acceptance gift. He rocks. Nuf' said.

I'm obsessed with it. I know some people aren't fans of juices because you're not workin' to really get the nutrients out of the veggies but sh*t man. Have any of those people ever had beet ginger juice? Didn't think so. Now I can make pitchers and pitchers full and have vibrant magenta teeth whenever I want! Mmmm I'm gonna look soooo good.

So the theme of this week seems to be bacon. Let me share a little tid-bit of information with you guys. I haven't eaten bacon in like 5+ years. Before I was a pesca I hated bacon. Something about Wendy's, raw bacon, and it creeping me out. So needless to say I was a little hesitant to cook with it. But I bought some uncured, and thus nitrate free, side-cut bacon from Bright's Farm in Floyd, VA and made a delicious anytime meal, which I'll share with you in a minute!

After the recipe I was left with a fat-pack of bacon that needed to be eaten so my mornings have been filled with the heavenly aroma of frying pork fat that I've seasoned with Todd's Dirt. God made dirt and dirt don't hurt. That's my motto. Especially when it comes to the 5 second rule. Me let food go to waste? Psh. You're funny.

Honestly, I haven't been doing very many interesting things recently so I don't have a whole lot to chat about. Weird. Usually that's the complete opposite. Lucky you guys you'll get to the recipe quicker.

It was my friend Allyson's birthday yesterday!!!!! Yay happy birthday for the billionth time lady! I sent her several really weird happy birthday texts and wall posts. I'm sure they were the highlight of her day... We went to Olive Garden for her b-day dinner though and holy moly is it hard to eat paleo there. I must be a freak because I don't like their breadsticks to begin with, so no problems there. Probably a good thing considering my whole gluten issue. But eeeeverything on the menu is either pasta or pasta. That makes sense. I'm still working on getting my 3 or 90 year old digestive system to cooperate so I didn't wanna chance anything and I got the endless salad. Mistake. The tiniest bit of cheese on it and whatever dressing they used made my stomach puff up like a balloon. After salad. Are you effing kidding me? So I walked around Walmart with Allyson after to try to get it to go down. I bought Key Lime scented candles and they smell awesome. And they're green. 2 points for candles! There be some straaaaange people in Walmart though. Holy moly. That is all.

Then today she and I went to walk our pups around Heritage Park and they went swimming and had a blast and I found some cool fungi and rescued Elle from the rapidly moving current. She is so dumb. She doesn't know how to swim very well which doesn't ever become a problem because she likes to sprint up and down the shallow banks. Today, however, she went in a bit too deep and got caught up in the current of a creek. Not much current. She ended up getting stuck near the bank on a tree root and kept whining for me to save her. She was being a baby. It was not that hard. But I went and grabbed her by the collar and helped her up and what does she do to repay me? Drips nasty creek water ALL over my iphone and then shakes her sopping wet coat all over me. Thaaaanks Smeleanor. B*tch. Literally.

I just wasted soo much time not writing this because I found an awesome website. It's called #WhatShouldWeCallMe and it's basically GIF's (I have no idea what that stands for so don't ask, animated, repeating pictures for those who don't know) that describe people's expressions or reactions to things. For example: this one describes my life...

When I see my favorite food: 
Almond butter, dark chocolate, coconut milk ice cream - all produce
the same facial reaction. GIMMMEEE
Seriously they're hilarious. Go there. And waste hours of your day. Gahhh now I just remembered I bought coconut milk ice cream today and I want to go eat it. RECIPE TIME.

Deconstructed Bacon, Arugula, & Caramelized Onion Egg Sammies
Makes 2 "Sandwiches" or servings

  • 4 slices uncured Bacon
  • 2 cups thinly sliced White or Yellow Onion
  • 1 tablespoon Water
  • 1 teaspoon Mexican Hot Sauce (Cholula) 
  • 1 tablespoon Ghee or butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon Raw Honey
  • 2+ large eggs (depending on how many you want per serving)
  • Sea Salt & Coarse Ground Pepper to taste
  • 2 cups Arugula
  • 1/2 cup of Raw Almonds, coarsely chopped
1. Cook bacon in a nonstick skillet. Start with the bacon in the cold skillet and gradually heat up over medium heat. I used pretty thick bacon so it took quite a while for everything to get bubbly and crisp. A good rule of thumb is to wait until the fat becomes slightly translucent, then flip to the other side for about 5 minutes. Feel free to season the uncured bacon with whatever spices you'd like. For this recipe I just stuck with plain Jane bacon. 
2. Once cooked, remove bacon from pan, reserving the drippings, and place on a paper-towel lined plate to absorb the excess fat. 
3. Add the onion, water, and hot sauce into the pan with the bacon drippings and stir to mix together. Cover and cook 3 minutes. Stir in the ghee and honey, re-cover and cook 3 more minutes. Uncover and add the 1/2 cup of raw almonds in with the onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until the onions are golden brown, stirring frequently. Set aside and keep warm. 
4. Drain some of the excess bacon fat in the skillet and crack the eggs into it. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, gently flip the eggs separately and cook for 1 minute or until you're satisfied with the yolk-hardness. Runny yolks are good for this recipe because they help incorporate all the flavors!
5. Plate the arugula evenly between the plates, top with bacon, egg, and caramelized onion-almond mixture. The almonds are meant to provide the crunch that a bread sandwich would give and, in my opinion, far supersedes that gluten-ous nightmare. 
6. Enjoy! Feel free to top with additional hot sauce!

Mmmm bacon

No comments:

Post a Comment