Thursday, September 13, 2012

Chicken Fried Beef Taco Nuggets


What happens when you're 2 hours late for your scheduled feeding time? You go home and crushhhhh Tyrell's parsnip chips and super seed butter. Yup. That's happening as. we. speak.


I've decided that I'm more bear-like than sloth-like. I'm not AS lazy as I used to be, though still pretty lazy as we'll see later on in this post. But now I'm more like a bear. A bear in a zoo if zoo bears had to hunt for their food. A bear in a wildlife park. There. Perfect. How? Well I wake up, hunt for my food (crossfit), go home, eat a HUGE meal, and then 90% of the time after that I'll pass out aka hibernate. I also have scheduled feeding times, which is where the zoo bear part comes in. Does this make sense? Probably not. Point is, I eat lunch at like 12:30-1pm every day. Today, however, I was running errands - read: shopping. I needed a wallet and a bag big enough to hold school books because I'm sick of fishing out a billion cards from my change purse and because induction day for my masters is tomorrow. WHAaah I know. I'm scared. Anyway, that shopping experience took 40 stores and like 5 hours. Gross exaggeration, but whatevs. I'm also incredibly stubborn about eating out at places when I have perfectly good food at home. Spend money on bags, not lunch. Clearly I need to get my priorities straight. But this is technically my last day of freedom so I went a little buck-wild.

Y'all, I'm a genius for this recipe. An accidental, lazy genius. But a genius, nonetheless. I've been thinking a lot recently about how I make paleo work in my life in the hopes that I can advise people how to make paleo work for their lives as well (financially and with regards to time). One of my best kept secrets is eating a shit-ton of leftovers. But leftovers get boring. As a paleo eater you have to constantly be on your toes. Not as an oly lifter though. Especially not for squats. I'm totally lying to you, by the way. This recipe did not come from me contemplating how to make leftovers brilliant and prolong the use of your often expensive paleo ingredients. I was super effing lazy last night, super tired, and super hungry. I did not want to eat another microwaved coriander burger, but it was also too late to start prepping something else. So I decided I was going to chop up the beef and sprinkle homemade taco seasoning on it, throw it in the frying pan, and serve it alongside some steamed asparagus. THEN a sheer stroke of genius came to me as I spotted the coconut flour peering at me from high upon my shelves. Fried shit. Chicken fried beef nuggets.


Chicken Fried Beef Taco Nuggets
Makes 1 portion, may be doubled depending on the quantity of your leftovers.

  • Leftover Burger Patty - doesn't have to be a coriander burger
  • 1 Pastured Egg
  • 2 tbsp Coconut Flour
  • 1/2 tbsp Mexican Chili Powder
  • 1 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Cumin
  • 1/2 tsp Cayenne Powder
  • Red Pepper Flakes to taste
  • Salt & Pepper to taste

1. Slice your burger meat into 1/4 inch strips, such as shown below.


2. Combine your dry ingredients - flour & spices - in a small bowl
3. Crack your egg(s) into another small bowl and whisk.
4. Heat your coconut oil or fat of choice in a frying pan over low-medium heat.
5. Set up your dipping station, as shown below.


6. Individually dip a burger slice into the egg mixture, coat it generously, then dip it in the flour mixture, again coating generously, and into the hot oil.
7. Repeat with each burger slice.
8. Using tongs to flip, fry each burger slice for about 2-3 minutes each side, or until golden brown. Don't worry if your oil turns a brownish color.
9. Remove burger slices and place onto a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. 

**BONUS** - chop off the tips of some asparagus and throw them in the pan you used to fry up your chicken fried burger nuggets. Saute about 5-10 minutes or until soft. 



NUGGETS. 


No comments:

Post a Comment